Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Natal Sharks Board

Not only did we get to see live Sharks, but we also got a very hands on biology dissection of a rare(as in a rare catch!) Blue Shark. Ethan was able to show everyone were the sharks heart was(didn't think they had one!!)and earned himself a bag of sharks teeth! Just in case you may think this is inhumane let me make this point. They don't actually go out and purposely catch the sharks, these sharks that they dissect are unfortunately caught in the sharks nets which line our beautiful beaches making it fun for us to swim. Over the years they have greatly improved the nets thus greatly decreasing the amounts of sea life like sharks, turtles and dolphins from coming close enough to get caught.



Sadly the sharks tummy was empty, usually there are all sorts of goodies like number plates and soda cans! Just like I suspected...their hearts are tiny! There is a picture of the guy holding a sharks jaw...hope I never experience being in one of those, their teeth are razor sharp, there are hundreds of them and they are facing the wrong way so they are designed to not let go!! I think Ethan enjoyed seeing the live sharks more than this one!

2 comments:

karin said...

I am with Ethan, I would much rather see a live shark. But how educational, I did not know their teeth were designed to keep things in them but it makes sense.

Eric and Cindy Hansen said...

Do your kids realize how lucky they are? Honestly, they have been more places then me and Eric put together :)