Saturday, November 8, 2008

What an awful day!

Yesterday was such an awful day!
My day started as usual, woke up, got dressed for the gym, got Ethan and Chloe dressed and ready to take to school. At about 8:50 hopped in the car and drove 5 minutes to Ethan's school. Turned around and came home. In the garage I unbuckled Layne and Chloe and led them into the laundry room, ran back to the car and grabbed my bag. Stepped back inside the house to find the girls wet? Of course in my stern voice I asked the girls if they had been playing in the potty, something they are famous for and with the bathroom being next door to the laundry room, it seemed like the only explanation.

To my horror, I was wrong, I stepped into my kitchen to find my entire kitchen in a puddle of water. I had turned the dishwasher on before I left, so I immediately turned it off, thinking that it was leaking or something. I then ran to the linen closet to get some towels to get the water away from my wood cabinets, only to find more puddles! Some of the living room carpet was squidgy and my entrance was soaked as well as part of my dining room carpet.

Then it dawned on me.....my water heater. The 65 gallon monstrosity had given out! In a mad panic I called Peter, who of course was in a hotel in Miami Florida!!! He had taken the past week and a half off and had left to go out of town the day before, go figure! I found the faucet on top of the water heater and turned it off, but of course there was still 65 gallons of warm water!

So my house is now in pieces, literally. The restoration company has removed baseboards, dry wall and the damaged carpet and padding! Peter luckily gets back this morning, so I will fee much better! I wanted new flooring, but this is not the way to go about it!

The only thing that I am delighted about is I decided to paint my front door and change the hardware the day before. So I rolled up my beautiful Persian rug so that I wouldn't get paint on it. I'm still not finished with the door, so the rug was no where near all the water! Pheeeew!

I have had a raging headache with the awful loud fans blowing, and the 2 ginormous de-humidifiers. My indoor plant is looking kinda lame and my skin feels so dry. It's like I'm back in Utah!

Hopefully my house will be pieced back together and like the restoration company explained, look like nothing every happened!

7 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

OMG...that sucks!!! My basement flooded last November (and Jon was on the road...gone...of course) so I kind of know what you feel like. Hope they do make things as good as new in the end. For now...enjoy the sound of the gigantic air blowers...ha!

Cassidy said...

I'm so so so sorry to hear about that!!

karin said...

That is awful. I hope everything ends up better than it was.

TonyaKuykendall said...

Thank goodness you came home when you did. Blasted water heaters... They're great until they give out, then they are EVIL!!!!

Big renovation hugs!!!!

Larry said...

You should compare notes with the Johnson family. Sister Romer discovered similar things at her mothers house, but worse.

Moore Fun Stories said...

I am so sorry. I hope that things are getting put back together.

Kirst said...

How Horrible. I hate when things like that happen when the hubby's gone. We're thinking about you hear and hope the restoration guys do a great job for you.